Learning About Learning and Leading at LAC-O: Some Food For Thought

LAC-O is the Learning Achievement Coalition of Oakland County.  It’s a collaborative group of administrators from 28 Oakland County school districts who come together to focus on student achievement.  Specifically, they (now “we”) come together with the purpose of improving  “achievement for all students while eliminating achievement gaps wherever they exist, especially with regard to students of color, students from poverty, and non-traditional learners.”

What an amazing group!  It was truly energizing to walk into a room filled with a host of passionate educational leaders from across the county, ready to explore, ready to collaborate, and ready to learn.  I was invigorated!

First, Dr. Vicki Markavitch (Oakland Schools Superintendent) introduced the event by reminding us that our focus must be on teaching and learning.  It was a powerful message delivered with passion.  Some potent inspiration merged with my aforementioned invigoration upon hearing Dr. Markavitch’s address.  Her message reminded me of how important a core framework is.  As instructional leaders, everything we do should be founded in that framework.  Through all of our interactions, all of our communication, and all of our decision-making we should be constantly asking ourselves, “How does this impact teaching and learning?”  And in fact, when we do, we’re asking, “How does this impact student achievement?”

Next, Marty Chaffee, Larry Thomas, Michael Yocum, and Christine Gullen (of Oakland Schools) present us with some LAC-O history and made some connections to the work that we’re doing in our buildings and districts.  Collectively, they addressed leadership challenges like attending to the needs of all students while simultaneously focusing on the needs of individuals, and the gathering of voices from all stakeholders as an essential practice within an authentic and meaningful growth process.

At my table, a colleague framed it as, “flipping the switch from a CAN’T mindset to a CAN mindset.”  We were dealing with our leadership thinking and practices, focused on the goal of teaching and learning, and setting a CAN tone as the start of a new school year approaches.  It was a great way to begin the day, and wonderful energy to move forward with!

Dr. Cathy Lassiter facilitated the next part of our retreat.  She framed her message with the phrase All Means All (refereeing to student learning).  She came prepared with data to support the consideration of some essential leadership questions.  What specific principal behaviors lead to universal student achievement?  What are some “high effect size practices” for building and district leaders?  What impact do we have on developing instructional leadership in our schools?

I love the idea of “high effect size practices.”  Some things truly do work, and therefore, we should be doing them.  We should be building trusting relationships.  We should be visible and present in our schools.  We should model learning.  We should share leadership.  We should value the voice of every stakeholder.

Dr. Lassiter introduced some texts to drive our learning.  From “Student Centered Leadership” by Viviane Robinson, there are five significant behaviors of principals that can be linked to improved student learning outcomes:

• Leading & participating in teacher learning and development.
  • Establishing goals and expectations.
  • Ensuring quality teaching.
  • Resourcing strategically.
  • Ensuring an orderly and safe environment.

According to Dr. Lassider all are critically important, however, being engaged with teachers in their learning and development came out as the most important factor in Robinson’s study.  Dr. Lassider reminded us, “Principals are instructional leaders of other instructional leaders.”  Our primary job is to get the best performance possible, from ourselves, and from every teacher who works in our schools.  We must improve, and we must help perpetuate a culture in which consistent improvement is the standard.  As principals, it’s critical that we push the envelope around quality teaching and learning.  We need to remain ever aware that everyone involved in the district and in the school community is a partner in improving instruction, and our leadership must reflect that awareness.

Another salient point from the literature is that when we talk about transformation we’re talking about partnerships and building capacity.  As we think about improving instruction we should be thinking about people working side by side.  Educational leaders must connect with people in positive and authentic ways. When we develop relationships with people it’s easier for them to view us as partners.  We are in a business that requires the input and the energy of all involved as we worked toward individual and collective goals within the framework of enhanced teaching and learning.

Today was an amazing example of coming together for a common purpose.  While there is so much more to consider from this wonderful retreat, I hope that the thoughts and ideas articulated in this post will serve as quality food for thought as you continue preparations for another amazing school year, jam packed with meaningful learning and growth.

Dream Big.  Work Hard.  Be Well.

4 comments

1. Lyn

I love that quote “Principals are instructional leaders of other instructional leaders.” How profound and true! It sounds like the retreat was inspiring and informative. What a great way to start off the new year. I may come back to this post a couple times as I get worried and overwhelmed with all the beginning of the year “stuff” that has to get done in the next three weeks. I want to always keep children and learning forefront in everything I do, but it’s nice to read about how others achieve that goal. Best of luck on the beginning of the year!

• bergseye

Thanks for the read & the thoughtful comment Lyn! I agree with you on the “instructional leader” quote…it really puts things in perspective! I’m glad that you found the post meaningful…I was truly inspired by the event today! Best wihes:)!!

• Michael Behrmann

Great synopsis, Seth! You have a great way of finding the essentials! You mention that according to Lassiter, that principals being engaged with teachers in their learning and development came out as the most important factor in Robinson’s study. I truly believe that as well. Taking it one step further, as a central office administrator, I need to be engaged in the learning and development as principals. Thanks so much, Seth!

• bergseye

Great point Michael! And you do a great job of it! I really appreciate you reading and commenting on the post…one example of engagement in my learning and growth:). Thanks again! Heres to a long learning journey together with RCS!

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>