#PLNpals: Celebrating the Magic of Social Media Networking

The other day I heard someone say something like, “The mad rush of modern technological innovation is really messing with my flow!”  The ability to receive hundreds of e-mail messages each week is pretty cool if you appreciate the inherent connectedness it’s accompanied by.  It’s pretty un-cool if you don’t appreciate the inherent workload of sorting though, thinking critically about, and responding to hundreds of e-mails each week.  It’s arguably a perspective thing, and like most everything else, it’s not black and white.

Along with the frenetically paced and regular advancements of technology come some incredible benefits and some tremendous challenges.  However, like it or not, this is the world in which we live.  I say, go with it!  Let’s work to maximize those benefits and overcome those challenges.  In fact, many incredible people are doing just that.  They’re doing it in part by building, nurturing, and celebrating networks of like-minded others around the globe.

I’ve been blogging, and combining that effort with the development of a twitter PLN for about a year now.  I began with the notion that my growth and development would be enhanced by learning about/listening to educational leaders who participate in social media professional learning, and that my self-reflection might have a positive influence in their lives too.  I had no idea that that was simply the tip of the iceberg!  Truly, engaging in this network of amazing thinkers, leaders, and visionaries has been transformative!

It’s the connections, the positive bent, the myriad opportunities to be involved in highly authentic, critical, and relevant dialogues, and the fact that the great majority of educators and organizational leaders who choose to participate in Twitter/blogosphere networking are highly collaborative.  Talk about an abundance paradigm (I’m a big Covey fan)!  Individuals in this group of learners celebrate each other’s ideas and accomplishments as if they are their own.  The excitement is palpable, the humility is inspirational, and the collective strength of thousands of passionate, open-minded, generous people is contagious.

One of my favorite opportunities is when I get to meet my PLNpals (which is what I’ve begun calling tweeps as I build relationships with them).  A couple of weekends ago I was at Oakland University’s Edcamp (run by Stephanie Dulmage – @steph1234 & John Bernia @MrBernia).  I met a ton of people who I’ve been working with for some time.  It was awesome!  Two of the thought provoking #COLchat leaders Michele Corbat (@MicheleCorbat) & Rodney Hetherton (@RodneyHetherton) were there with the amazing Schwartz Creek Crew (#COLchat a great educhat out of Schwartz Creek, MI).  Michele and Rodney were some of the first people I met on Twitter.  I’ve spent a ton of time with them, sharing ideas, support, and encouragement.  Meeting them opened the door to more interactions that will no doubt lead to ongoing collaboration.  It’s the next step, and maybe more importantly, it’s how our students function.  Working in, understanding, and growing with a social media PLN is a great way to view the world through the lens of a modern learner, and consequently, a great way to design/model effective growth opportunities for the children we serve.

There are so many great examples of amazing educators reaching out with their students to incorporate this kind of networking into the learning lives of their students’.  Below is one of my favorites.  Follow the incredible Arin Kress (@ArinKress) and start reading her blog with this post (and keep going from there): http://hatechalk.blogspot.com/2013/11/future-plans-global-classroom.html

While you’re at it, get on board with:

@MrBernia

@steph1234

@MicheleCorbat

@RodneyHetherton

Ask them about the chats they lead and are involved in…read their blogs…share their ideas and offer yours.

This is the first of many posts I intend to write that will highlight the work of my #PLNpals, and offer links to the invaluable resources they put forth.  They are what I feel is great about social media networking.  One of the best and most authentic Twitter collaborators I’ve come across is the great Tom Whitford.  In my estimation, one of the most important @twhitford quotes is, “I am grateful for meeting friends here on Twitter & then having the opportunity to meet them F2F at Conf & Edcamps PLN =Growth.”

I hope to meet Tom one day.  I hope to meet you. Thanks to all of my wonderful #PLNpals for allowing me to join them on this journey of learning and growth!

Dream Big.  Work Hard.  Be Well.

6 comments

1. Tom Whitford

Seth,
    I love your post here. As you well know, I totally agree with you. The connections made on Twitter and through my blog have been incredibly powerful for me and I am thankful for all of them. I have learned a great deal from my PLN and the sharing that happens keeps pushing me to be better and a more responsive leader. I appreciate your kind words and we will absolutely have to arrange a meeting. An #edcamp would be an ideal place for it as I would love to have some amazing discussions with you and even lead a session about the power of being “connected.” Hope to keep chatting with you on Twitter and even more importantly to keep enjoying your posts here.

Sincerely,
    Tom

• bergseye

Thanks Tom – not only do I know your take on being a connected educator, but you’ve been an incredible model of it for me and the thousands that learn from/with you each day. I’ll look forward to finding myself at the same Edcamp as you and having that discussion/leading that session! In the meantime, I appreciate your dedication to living best practices in leadership and professional learning…enjoy a great week my friend! Be well:)!

2. Rachel

Seth,

I love your celebration of learning. I just read an article where educational administrators were listed third in terms of stress levels. http://www.businessinsider.com/most-stressful-jobs-in-america-2013-11#

However, what I have found in my PLN,, that has grown exponentially since working with you, is that some of the isolation and stress administrators feel has diminished significantly as my connections on Twitter and such have increased.

I overheard someone say they just copy all your “tweeps” and have been amazed at their own growth! Thank you for modeling and celebrating this shift in how we may continue to grow as educators!

Rachel

• bergseye

Thanks for the read, the link, and the insights Rachel! That isolation is huge in our business isn’t it? What a great way to think of our ever-evolving PLNs. It truly is wonderful to have these connectivity tools by which we can realize that it’s not necessary to be alone, and that there are literally thousands of people around the globe who are ready to welcome each of us into their network of leaners, supporters, and encouragers! I’m glad to hear that my work is meaningful to you, especially because both your intentional and consequential modeling/mentoring of me has made, and continues to make such a huge impact on my learning and growth:)! We are in truly in this together, and when we do that well – everyone involved benefits! Thanks for being awesome…have a great Monday!

3. Pat

Hello Seth,

I’ve only been active on twitter for 6 months or so. My #PLN is growing slowly but surely. I’m still new to the instructional design field having only been a Training Development Officer (TDO) for the Canadian Forces for just under four years. As a new TDO I often felt isolated and in search of resources to discuss and collaborate on issues I was facing. Twitter came as a revelation and a golden opportunity that I now cherish dearly and hope to expand. This post will help me in making new connections and I thank you for it. For someone new to the field, it is an amazing chance to be collaborating with renown experts; an opportunity to would be impossible F2F. So, from all the new, isolated educators out there; I look forward to the collaboration and thank you!

Pat

• bergseye

How cool Pat! Thanks for sharing your journey and offering your insights…that’s what this is all about! I’m so glad that your invested in social media for networking and growth – as you articulated, it’s a great platform. Let me know if I can help! Be well!

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>