Making Thinking Visible #1: Getting Started By Digging In

I have a relatively rich history of working with the philosophies and routines outlined in “Making Thinking Visible” (Ritchhart, Church, & Morrison, 2011).  I’ve used and adapted the ideas as a fifth, fourth, third, and third/fourth grade multiage teacher, and a middle school assistant principal.  I’ve seen first hand the benefits and consistent positive outcomes of bringing learning to life by way of the critical processing, the deep digging, and the comfortable, expository nature of this program.

I’m thrilled to be working in a district whose leadership has actively embraced the same.  Within Rochester Community Schools there exists a spectrum of readiness regarding the “Making Thinking Visible” philosophies, systems, and structures.  Some of our schools have been focused on learning and implementing the program for a few years now, and others like Meadow Brook, are at the beginning of their “Making Thinking Visible” journeys.  All are in it together, all are communicating about progress and sharing in development, and all are excited about the connected positive outcomes we’re experiencing in the areas of leadership, learning, and growth.

In an effort to prime my community for next steps in our development I will be writing a series of posts on the topic (along with other related initiatives).  Through these posts I intend to expose my own learning process to all Meadow Brook stakeholders.  I’m actively inviting students and parents into the learning journey that our staff is embarking on.  In many ways our community is defined by the partnerships we believe in and work so hard to nurture, this adventure is going to be a collective one.  It’s simply the way we roll!

Even in our building teachers have varied levels of exposure to, and experience with “Making Thinking Visible.”  Some have been using the routines for years, some are just now exploring, and some have not yet dug in.  However, no educator who is learning about the work of Ritchhart, Chrurch, and Morrison, even for the first time, feels disconnected.  The philosophies and routines are adaptations and innovations of tools and strategies that excellent teachers have been using in their classrooms throughout history.  The authors link these traditional strategies with their exiting innovations in an energized, user-friendly way that clearly shows the potential benefits of this type of classroom engagement toward meaningful and long-lasting progress.

Also, through our study and implementation I will be encouraging and working with teachers to adapt and innovate further.  One of the keys to our success as we move forward is that we don’t mistake this work as the only work that needs to be done, or as an isolated stencil for student success.  As we learn together I will continue to encourage all involved to reflect on how this work fits into their classroom paradigms, connects to their styles, and speaks to their student’s needs.     There is no one-way to address the needs of any diverse population of learners.  While we will be maintaining a focus on “Making Thinking Visible,” we will be keeping curiosity and associated exploration in mind.  For example, I will simultaneously be sharing my learning journey with regard to the work of Dr. Mary Howard via her insightful book, “Good to Great Teaching.”

So, welcome to my inaugural “Making Thinking Visible” post!  Stay tuned for regular updates with connected thoughts, ideas, collaborations, challenges and triumphs, and the archiving of some nitty-gritty whole-community development work aimed at enhanced teaching and learning.  As always, your input is welcome and appreciated.

Forward by David Perkins.  In the “Making Thinking Visible” forward, David Perkins tempts readers to think about thinking.  He prompts us to recall times in our lives when we’ve overheard “half a conversation” or wondered what thoughts led to the expression of certain ideas (p. xiii).  He submits that we’re each not always even in touch with our own thinking processes.  He validates that submission by informing us, “Research suggests that most people are not sharply aware of how they go about figuring out a problem or coming to a position on an issue” (p. xiv).  He relates that research to the work of Ritchhart, Church, and Morrison by asserting, “In broadcast terms, these ideas call for externalizing processes of thought so that learners can get a better handle on them” (p. xiv).

Perkins goes on to deal with the difference between “thinking about” and “thinking with” concepts and ideas.  He indicates that when people deeply dig into the process by which they make connections and come to conclusions, they are better able to apply those connections to other thinking and further development (p. xiv).  He suggests that our students are well served when we facilitate processes by which their thinking is exposed.  He implies that “Making Thinking Visible” can help enhance our practice to the end that our students will progress through grade levels with increased abilities to make meaningful sense of the complex world in which they live, and subsequently become increasingly and consistently productive and fulfilled.

This Month’s Challenge.  This weekend, per the advice and example of one of my incredible mentors, Amy Grande (Principal, University Hills Elementary School), I will be issuing a challenge to my staff to use and communicate about the use of two specific “Making Thinking Visible” routines in their classrooms.  Of course, I’m not looking to limit each teacher to two and I’m thrilled with the progress that I know various individuals are making in using many routines regularly.  However, I’m going to highlight two as a school-wide focus for “Making Thinking Visible” learning and growth.  I’m going to invite my staff to fill our classrooms and hallways with evidence of thinking and learning connected to the use our two focus routines, and I’m going to encourage ongoing conversations about our individual and collective development.

I’m curious.  I’m excited.  I’m ready to get moving in this direction.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

Live. Learn. Lead.

Dream Big. Work Hard. Be Well.

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>