It Takes A Village: The Early Childhood Learning Dialogue

Each of us stands to benefit from the comprehensive education of children in our districts, our counties, our states, our countries, and our world.  Technology continues to enhance global communication by bringing people closer together than ever before.  There doesn’t seem to be an end in sight.  I recently read that brain wave technology, allowing people to manipulate machines simply by thinking, is already in use by some individuals who are otherwise unable to move or control the devices that afford them mobility, such as wheelchairs.  Could we soon be communicating telepathically by way of such technology?  How much more connected will we be in the years to come?

I remember seeing early models of mobile phones and being amazed.  Big clunky rectangular button-laden blocks in bags were sleek and modern; “car phones” with springy chords that plugged into lighter outlets were futuristic.  When I first saw a flip phone I thought it was a prop from Star Trek.  Now, if it’s not a touch screen, it seems as antiquated as a front-loading Beta Max or an eight-track tape player (both of which were truly “rad” in their time!).

Young people today expect to be able to contact one another with the touch of a button…a virtual button, regardless of global proximity.  We are living in time of hyper communication.  Our children must have the tools to collaborate with one another.  Incidentally, those tools extend well past the technology involved, and into capacity building for compassion, self-reflection, creativity, digital citizenship, and more.  To thrive in this world, our children must develop the ability to visualize meaningful connections with vast pools of their contemporaries.  They must develop the skills needed to perpetuate those connections, and the ability to visualize countless potential ends.  Then, they should feel comfortable extending those ends by understanding them simultaneously as beginnings, and/or pathways to continued progress.

The “i” in iPhone® is arguably misplaced, as such devices are ushering our world every-increasingly into a “we” paradigm.  Our children are individually better off when they are collectively strong.  For these reasons, a focus on preparedness is essential.  I believe that as parents, educators, and citizens of this world, we should each consider becoming engaged in the early childhood education dialogue.  Who is responsible for designing pre-k learning programs?  How are those programs sustained?  How are they articulated to varied stakeholders?  What about access?  Are we each doing our part to make sure that children are provided with the necessities that will help them meet and exceed their potential as global citizens in training?  While I won’t claim to have a fully developed notion of what ideal birth to five learning looks like, I will contend that an open dialogue among all stakeholders is likely to enhance our understanding of it, and our ability to put/keep it in place.

If you feel so inclined, please comment with insights on early childhood learning, provide related hyperlinks, or contact me (@bergseyeview) and/or my research partners (Sara Delgado – @saradelg10 and Lisa Rheaume – @Rheaumi) on twitter using #EpreK.  We would love to hear from you as we seek to understand and impact this important area of study!

Dream Big. Work Hard. Be Well.

4 comments

1. Dr. Micki Berg

Life was, or at least, seemed to be simpler before technology literally connected the universe, but raising and educating children, especially when they are young, to be good, kind, productive citizens, was just as challenging before technology. I believe that the process is still grounded in values, and because of the introduction of an abundance of information available through technology at every age, demonstrating and teaching clear values to the very young is critical.

• bergseye

Excellent point Dr. Micki! I appreciate the perspective you bring to this dialogue, not only as a parent, but as a student of human development. I think that you hit the nail on the head. To some extent, we have to be aware of innovation and progress as we seek to prepare our young people for the challenges they do, and will continue to face. However, when we simply (and intentionally) set them up with value driven learning and authentic practice opportunities, they are well equipped to integrate effective communication strategies into their lives (regardless of the devices they are communicating through). People are people. They will learn the tech. Maybe our job is much more basic. Great food for thought! Thanks, as always, for the insightful contribution!

2. Jeff Moz

It is interesting to sit back and observe our 0-5 population as they interact with technology and think about the impact today and for the future.What I’m excited about is the access to learning they have each and every day.. Think of all the questions they can explore even before they can read a word… Why?? Why?? Why? However to leverage the access and learn/explore often requires good human interaction to help guide our you mind. Think about the TV technology and Sesame Street.. Students learned by sitting and watching the show, but when kids were engaged with adults who understood the “technology” and could engage with the kids, learning could be expanded to another level. The same is true with the APP generation.

It has never been about the technology ( while it is important piece of society today) it is what you do with the tools and about fostering the love of learning and questioning.

• bergseye

Awesome Jeff! Leave it to a Tech Director to come up with that kind of insight! Thanks for your thoughtful commentary. I couldn’t agree more. Here we are in an age of engagement, the question is, what are we engaged in, and what/who are we engaged in it with? I specifically appreciate the last portion of your closing sentence, “…it is what you do with the tools and about fostering the love of learning and questioning.” This is one of the things I think RCS does so well. We have access to every progressive tool we could want, and we take advantage of that access through a lens of learning, questioning, exploration, and growth. An authentic love of learning will never be replaced by access to a device. Thanks again for sharing your great point of view! Have a wonderful week!

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>