The Benefits of Shared Learning and Leadership

I  just spent an incredible week working and learning with an amazing group of people.  These people include students, parents, teachers, and the support staff of the wonderful elementary school community that I am honored to be serving as interim principal.  It was an interesting beginning in that we had two snow days in the first week of my service, so we were only in school together for three days.  However, those three days were jam packed with enthusiasm, collaboration, learning, and fun!

The thing that struck me most was the universally promoted and unwavering attention to maintaining excellence through shared leadership.  I pointed out in last week’s post that the building principal has been healing from an accident and out of school for the past few weeks.  As a testament to her leadership and this community’s dedication, they have truly risen to the challenges that her temporary absence presents.  In the very short time I’ve been involved, I can see clearly that shared leadership is a cornerstone of her philosophy, and a deeply embedded value, held and practiced by all.

From my first moments in the building through the end of the day on Friday, I was consistently approached by staff, students, and parents with welcoming words and invitations to visit classrooms, join in planning and development, and share in the excitement that fills the halls of this great school.  Everyone has been warm and welcoming, stressing through actions and words that we are all partners.  It has been wonderful to meet and talk with so many like-minded people in such a short period of time, each driven to play a critical and collaborative role in perpetuating student achievement and wellbeing.

Not only has the group of amazing teachers been receptive to my regular classrooms visits, they have taken it to the next level by sending e-mails asking if I “have a minute to stop in” at “any time” during the course of a day.  Multiple people have stopped me in the halls and the office with similar messages, saying things like, “Hey Seth, if you have some time this afternoon, we would love for you join us!”  When I have, I’ve found myself amazed and overjoyed!

IMG_4248IMG_4246IMG_4229IMG_4226IMG_4227IMG_4231

In the classrooms I experienced a laser-like focus on learning and progress.  I saw the writing process unfold through explicit drafting instruction and practice in 3rd grade.  I witnessed hands on science and math exploration in the form of a cool paper plane project in 2st grade.  I spent time with 4th graders as they engaged in language arts and science instruction simultaneously, developing an understanding of how communication and experimentation connect.  I saw comfortable and inviting classroom libraries, accessible and rich with literature.  I found organized systems of management that included student leadership and accountability components.  I enjoyed the many collaborative, authentic, connected, and engaging instructional practices in place across grade levels, and embedded within the various “specials” I visited.

In the lunchroom I was bombarded by offers to “sit with us!”  Moving from table to table I learned many incredible things from students of all ages.  Has anyone ever told you that people in China ride motorcycles in their pajamas?  Are you aware that the mix of catsup and ranch dressing makes a wonderful dipping sauce for popcorn, chicken, & pizza?  Did you know that we are each “real” artists because we can each create beautiful things in our own way (one of my favorites from an insightful kindergartener)?  If you didn’t, now you do…and there’s plenty more where that came from!

Also, I truly appreciate the rich, developmental talk that teachers were engaged in with one another.  Brainstorming ideas, reflecting on lessons, and actively learning together throughout the building.  These people do an amazing job of collectively accepting the responsibility of educating and caring for all of their students!  It’s been wonderful to step into a place where the shared leadership expectations have been so well established.  It is exceptionally clear to me that I’ve entered a community of people who expect a lot from themselves.  That expectation, along with their combined commitment to fulfill it, contributes greatly to this school’s incredible strength!  I am very much looking forward to more wonderful weeks of shared learning and leadership!

Dream Big.  Work Hard.  Be Well.

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>