Starts & Stops: Critical Reflection, Renewal, Anticipation, and Excitement

The Point: 

We are each unique and incredible.  We seem to grow along developmental paths perpetuated by our experiences.  My experiences so far have lead me to believe that when individuals take the time to care for themselves properly, and to thoughtfully process their experiences with open minds that are fixed on learning, they can maximize the benefit of their unique and incredible developmental paths.  I also believe that by doing so, they can increase their ability to affect positive development in those they serve.  As educators, we should be doing all we can to that end.

The Story: 

Starts and stops are very similar phenomena, if not actually one in the same.  It’s often said that with every ending there exists a new beginning.  Another way to look at it is that nothing ever starts, and nothing truly ever stops.  That we exist on a continuum of learning and growth is a commonly held, and arguably reasonable perception.  The idea that one thing leads to another is appealing to me as an educator because it suggests that, in any given moment, we are each an amalgamation of everything we’ve ever been, and let’s face it…that’s a lot of amazing stuff!  However, even as I write this post suggesting that starts and stops are indistinguishable on some level, I maintain that one of the great things about education is that its starts and stops can be pretty well defined.  I’m suggesting that definition is great because it perpetuates tremendous potential for critical reflection, renewal, anticipation, and excitement, all of which contribute to wellbeing and effectiveness.  Opportunities for positive growth and development are truly around every corner, and for educators who do so intentionally, it can be relatively easy to take advantage of those opportunities.

Consider that it might be a matter of planning, compartmentalizing, and steadfastly committing to collaboration grounded in what Stephen Covey refers to as an abundance paradigm, rather than what he calls a scarcity paradigm.  The difference between the two is addressed in his book The 7 habits of Highly Effective People.  Basically, those who view the world from an abundance paradigm celebrate the successes of others, and they appreciate that there’s plenty to go around.  They understand that their relationships, their organizations, and their communities are exponentially enriched when more people inside of each are able to realize happiness and success.

An educator living in an abundance paradigm might make the following statement, “I get excited when my colleagues achieve great things because I know that children’s lives are enhanced.”  Those who live in a scarcity paradigm become jealous, frustrated, and tend to lose focus when they encounter the achievement of others.  Someone who sees the world through the lens of scarcity might say something like, “I could’ve done that so much better,” or “she stole my idea…what a show off!”

In my opinion, the danger of living in a scarcity paradigm is that it’s inhibiting to one’s own potential, in part by constraining the ability to appreciate the achievement of others, and in part by shifting one’s focus from what could otherwise be an outcomes based orientation (positive in nature), into an envy based orientation, potentially negative in nature and distracting to the pursuit of authentic, positive, & meaningful outcomes.  The overarching & collective goal of education is the facilitation of a process by which possibilities are explored, potential is unleashed, & students are able to experience ongoing growth & achievement.  When we seek that goal collaboratively, everyone benefits.

So, what do collaboration and Covey have to do with starts and stops?  One of the challenges that all people have is that we’re human.  In being so, we tend to make mistakes.  As educators, we aim to connect our worldviews with our practices in thoughtful ways.  As humans, we get tired.  Fatigue can be a real antagonist to focus.  When I’m tired, I have to work hard to focus on the connections between my worldview and my work.  I would suggest that we are at our best when we’re well rested & energized.  My ability to engage in thoughtful planning processes, to compartmentalize interactions and tasks, and to keep my abundance lens polished diminishes as I wear down.

After my first week as a Middle School Assistant Principal I am challenging myself to take advantage of the well-defined stops and starts of our business. It’s counterintuitive, because there is simply so much to do.  But again, I know that my ability to plan, compartmentalize, and collaborate effectively depend in part on my ability to reflect, renew, anticipate, and get excited.

The Strategies, Tools, and Connections:  

Let someone else drive if you can.  Most of us have hand held devices, and for most of us, e-mail is a huge part of the tasking that needs to be done each day.  Lately, my wife has been driving while I work.  I keep it light.  Sometimes I use this time for organizing rather than responding so that I can engage partially in whatever is going on in the car.  I open a new message draft labeled “Task Machine,” keep notes to send to myself, push messages into appropriate folders, and delete when appropriate.  I know that it’s not ideal to be partially engaged, but this practice has allowed me to be more fully engaged when we reach the zoo, the museum, the park, the library, or wherever it is we’re going.  What moments are available for some light tasking outside of your workday that might allow you to slow your racing mind during family/down time?

Don’t look at your device after a designated time.  There is no such thing as a quick check.  I cannot tell you the number of times I’ve reached over and opened my e-mail just before laying my head on the pillow and been stopped in my tracks.  Don’t do it…it doesn’t work!  There is only so much you can accomplish/respond to during a twenty-four hour period.  Accept it, and try hard to get some “mind off work,” peaceful rest each night.

Get the major brush strokes on the canvas before you leave each day.  Whether it’s reviewing your weekly calendar, working through a set number of e-mails, running through your task list, or straightening your desk, try not to leave school with big stuff lingering.  Push through to get the major items taken care of, and leave your space the way you’d like to walk into it the next day.  Even if you have to stay an extra hour, it may save you multiple hours of uneasy sleep or disengaged interactions with family and friends.

Revert to the bigger picture at the end of each day, each week, and each year.  Remember, we all have “good” and “bad” days.  Try to take comfort in the fact that you can step away, process the minutia, and start fresh in the morning.  During appropriate stops and starts, let go of the smallest details, allow yourself to closed doors, relax, and anticipate the amazing energy that accompanies new beginnings.  If we want our colleagues and students to live as though each new day is an opportunity to learn, grow, and build on yesterday’s challenges and triumphs, it would serve us well to model that practice with authenticity.

Perpetuate authentic and ongoing connections with colleagues who show interest in abundance style collaboration.  Check out this blog post from Brad Waid (@techbradwaid) http://www.twoguysandsomeipads.com/2013/08/tired-or-inspired.html – an inspirational read & a great list of potential collaborators!

Dream big, work hard, share kindness, and be well!

2 comments

1. Robin Dubiel

This was so very timely. I’m trying to find my way in a new position, and balance is already a priority. As my kids start their activities and my husband’s farming is in full swing, I’m trying to be more organized so that I can be more present in both my jobs – instructional coach and mom. These were great points to reflect on. I hope your fall is going well.

• bergseye

I’m glad to hear it Robin…sounds like an exciting time for you and your family! It’s nice to hear from a colleague starting in a new position as well – we’re in it together:). For me, those organization skills are developing and I am working hard to make sure that they continue to develop. Someone used “learning to drive” as a metaphor for learning a new job the other day…there’s a lot of excitement and a lot of learning to, but one day in the relatively near future, it feels like you’ve been doing it forever! Best of luck…touch base with new of your adventure when you can!

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>